Advocate Health Care Mission Statement: A Reflection
What does it practically mean if we are created in the image of God? How does that impact how we serve individuals, families and communities?
First of all, the phrase comes from the scriptures of course, Gen 1:27:
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
We are God’s special creation, we alone were made like Him, in His image.
Consider this for a moment. If we are not created by God, nor in His image, then:
- Human beings have no real intrinsic value apart from any utility provided to society
- We have no real dignity, and freedom is an illusion because everything is ultimately determined by natural forces and chemical electrical reactions in our brain
- There is no ultimate purpose or meaning to human existence, or for you or me
- Death and disease are just a normal part of living in this world
But if it’s true, if we are made in the image of God:
- Then every human being has immeasurable value because they belong to God, and bear His image, even despite our falleness
- Every human being has real dignity and freedom, drawn from our creator
- Disease, suffering and death are violation of the created order—because they mar the image of God. The current state of the world is not the way it should be, nor is it permanent—God will restore all things
- Every patient we serve is not a number or a disease, but a person loved by God
- Those who work to heal the sick and comfort the suffering are in a very real way partnering with the God of creation in restoring, in some small way, the image of God in fallen human beings.
Let us pray
Gracious God and our Creator, thank You for allowing us to serve in this healing ministry. Help us to remember that every person we work with, every patient and family we serve, is made in Your image. Give us strength and guide us in this work.